In the last year or two, you may have been hearing more about your gut and its connection to your overall wellbeing. When it comes to the big picture of your health, your gut is more important than most people think.
Today we’re going to introduce the topic of gut health and give you the basics! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter, so you don’t miss out on other gut health resources and blog posts.
Read on to get the intro to gut health and why it matters!
What’s the Deal with Your Gut?
Some in the health community are quick to dismiss gut health as the latest buzz word, but the truth is more and more research is showing that gut health really is as important as we believe it to be, and it may have even more of an effect on our wellbeing than we’d like to think.
Check out these fast facts on gut health to get you acquainted with our topic today:
- There’s an information highway that connects our gut to our brain. More than 90% of the vagus nerve’s fibers carry info straight from the gut to the brain.
- We all have a unique gut microbiota, a bacterial population, that can affect our mood, health, and much more!
- Research has shown that altering the bacteria in our gut through diet may help to treat stress-related and neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Over half of our immune system is located in the gut.
- The microbes in our gut outnumber our human cells 10 to 1.
Our bodies can have as much as 2-6 pounds of bacteria at any given time, and these bacteria can influence or control most of our bodily functions. Most of the bacteria in our body is good, and keeping that good bacteria is crucial to a healthy and balanced level of bacteria.
Our Guts Hold the Secret to Good Health
We’re sure you’re starting to understand that our gut does so much more than just digest food; in fact, it can affect hormone triggers, nutrient absorption, muscle development, fat loss, and much more!
How can you tell if your gut is in good shape or not? Poor gut health can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common signs include:
- Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Seasonal allergies or asthma.
- Food allergies or food intolerances.
- Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease.
- Mood and mind issues such as depression, anxiety, ADD, or ADHD.
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS.
- Skin issues such as acne, rosacea, or eczema.
If you’d like to discuss any conditions you can identify with or determine if another issue you’re dealing with may stem from poor gut health, let’s talk! Get in touch with us to schedule your consultation, and we’ll figure out together if your gut health is in jeopardy.
Easy Ways to Mind Your Gut Health
Not sure if your gut is in good shape? Try implementing some of the following tips and see how your body responds. If you’re not sure where or how to get started—we can help!
- Avoid Unnecessary Antibiotics: Unfortunately, the overprescribing of antibiotics has led to many patients killing off good bacteria populations. If you can, steer clear of antibiotic use.
- Cut the Junk Food: It’s time to take a good long look at your diet. Cut out all the junk—sugar, processed foods, soda, etc. Harmful bacteria love this stuff, and you’ll just be contributing to your symptoms by feeding the harmful bacteria.
- Implement Fermented Foods: The easiest way to make your gut happy? Feed the good bacteria! Once you’ve cut out as much of the crappy food from your diet, look to implement items like kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha, and other fermented food items.
These three tips are relatively simple, but we understand that making lifestyle changes can be challenging. That’s why we want to help!
We Can Help
Contact the Lamkin Clinic today, and we’ll gladly become your partner in health! Schedule a discovery call or consultation with our team, and we can explain more about the importance of gut health and discuss any symptoms you believe to be signs of poor gut health.
Don’t go another day, not feeling your absolute best! Schedule your consultation today to take back your health and get your body right!