Losing or maintaining a healthy weight is a lifetime struggle for millions of Americans across the country.
Per a recent assessment from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- ~ 40% of Americans are obese and have a BMI of 30.0 or higher.
- ~ 71% of Americans are overweight and have a BMI in the 25.0 to 30.0 range.
So, if you have had a difficult time maintaining your weight or shedding a few pounds, you are certainly not alone!
Weight Loss Industry
Weight loss is a multi-million dollar industry. New miracle pills or fad diets pop up on our radars regularly.
- Try to lose weight multiple times before cycling back to their original weight.
- Gain a few pounds after their latest weight loss efforts are over.
Because a pattern of yo-yo or unsuccessful dieting is so common, it’s easy to understand why so many people get discouraged. It’s hard to get back on track after trying unsuccessfully to lose weight.
An Act of Willpower?
And, it’s important to understand losing weight effectively isn’t a straightforward “calorie in/calorie out” theory, or simply an act of willpower.
There are lots of additional factors, such as hormonal and metabolic “moving targets,” that:
- Prevent your body from releasing stored body fat.
- Derail your dieting efforts before they even start.
Diagnostic Tools Make a Difference
At the Lamkin Clinic, we use many diagnostic tools to pinpoint these underlying issues that may prevent your weight loss progress.
And in addition to your genetic makeup, there are countless factors at play that can greatly impact your ability to lose weight or maintain a healthy physique.
Not A One-Size Fits All Plan
So, let’s discuss three prominent factors that may have an impact when it comes to keeping your weight in check.
As we age, our metabolism naturally slows down, and our hormonal balances change. These factors can easily lead to weight gain.
And, you may notice as the years pass, your physique changes.
- Perhaps you’ve gained a little more weight around the belly.
- Or maybe you don’t have the energy you once had to embark on a healthy exercise routine.
This is all part of the natural aging process. However, it can signal:
- Hormone changes
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Metabolic declines
- Physiologic cues that impact your overall health
At the Lamkin Clinic, we can:
- Help you identify changes.
- Assist you in finding medical solutions to help slow the aging process.
- Regain the useful attributes that allow you to burn fat easier.
- Find solutions that allow you to maintain a higher metabolism.
- Regain higher energy levels.
2. Sleeping Habits
Sleep plays a surprisingly big role in your ability to lose weight! When you suffer from a lack of sleep, your whole body suffers.
- You need at least seven hours of sleep per night.
- Your sleeping patterns need to be routine and not sporadic and always changing.
Sleep is when your body:
- Undergoes its nightly restoration work
- Ensures all of your functions are in check
- Hormonal balances
Stress plays a noticeable role in maintaining a healthy weight, and for a wide range of both obvious and under-the-surface reasons.
When you are stressed, you are more likely to have higher stress-related hormone cortisol levels, which has an intricate and definitive connection with weight gain.
Cortisol is connected to the hormone insulin, which controls your blood sugar. And, when the levels of cortisol increase, you can become more resistant to insulin.
In turn, this leads to:
- Higher blood sugar levels
- Weight gain
- A higher risk of related health issues such as:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
On the surface, stress can also hinder your ability to eat right and to exercise. Consider the last time you had a bad mood or a bad day, and how you made yourself feel better.
- Did you indulge in sugary snacks or overeating?
- Did you reduce your physical activity?
- Have trouble getting out of bed or being active?
Your mood plays such a huge role in your ability to stay healthy. So, if you’re stressed, your ability to lose weight is naturally impacted as well.
We Are Here For You
Several other factors come into play when it comes to weight loss, including:
- Exercise habits
- Genetic predispositions
- Susceptibility to cravings
And your provider needs to account for these factors to understand your best path forward for weight loss. This is exactly why we never approach medical weight loss at the Lamkin Clinic as a one-size-fits-all venture.
We use both diagnostic tools and treatments designed for your unique physiological make-up and your unique challenges. Treatments at the Lamkin Clinic vary widely and are completely dependent on your unique situation.
However, options may include the following.
- Thyroid Optimization Protocol
- HCG Program
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Growth Hormone
- Customized Diet and Exercise Programs
- Anti-Inflammation diet
- Medical Guidance, Care, and Supervision by a Board Certified Physician trained in:
- Functional and Age Management
- Anti-aging Medicine
Simply put, the best thing you can do if you’ve struggled with weight loss is to find a medical solution to identify the factors that are slowing you down.
With a caring team of physicians on hand, we have helped countless patients achieve expedited and long-lasting weight loss. And, we are standing by to determine the best course of action for your own weight-related goals!